No need to be top 3, just in the top 10 I'm happy and proud. Why? Because I'm not like other Singaporean parents that blindly chase the best results and force thier kids to study to get good results to boast or cliam they will have a bright future. I'm not beside her constantly to guide her and my wife has learning disabilities so she could not guide her too. (only some basic Thai but sometimes she writes them in the wrong direction :P)
Education to me, is all about the joy of learning. How to reap new knowledge everyday. Yes, they do practice rote learning in Thailand but at least my wife and I are not forcing her to go to her books everyday after school. But I do ask her everytime on what she has learnt in school. At least once per week when I'm calling back home or daily when I'm in Thailand. And each time I would encourage and sound surprise if she say she is learning something new. This some how reinforces the importance of learning to my girl and kinds of spurs her into action. Yes, she's P1 only but I believe in starting a good foundation. Hope she will continue to work hard and maintain her results :)
The photo on the left was taken by wife's friend and posted on her FB. My wife does not know how to use the computer so I was happy that her friend started learning how to use facebook. So now quite often I can see some photos or post of the family on her wall. Girl was playing with my wife's friend Iphone while her brother is looking on beside her.
They play with each other and fights a lot, (well which siblings dun do that huh :P). But they are close. I can tell. The term break ends and Jie Jie will go to school, leaving poor Didi all alone at home and he will start to throw tantrums, asking where is his sister and he wants to go to school with her. Jie jie also very thoughtful one, everytime shcool ends she will buy extra ka-nom (sweets and candies) and share it with her Didi (I think she bought extra because she scared Didi will snatched it all away.. huhu) If I scold either one of them or threaten to whack them, the other will stand up and whack me back. Same thing when they are playing with others in a group. Recently while I was back and we visited a ball park playground. Another girl around the same age as my girl shoved and pushed Jiejie. Trying to pick a fight. Didi protectively went up and shoved the girl back and stood in front of the bully, even though he was a head shorter. Hehe!
So the 2 of them now reminds me of my own relationship with my sister. I think I really need to spend more time talking to my sis again.... Not sure when our conversation starts to dwindle but I guess we share the same blood.. Hell yeah. Whoever dares to bully my sis, I'm gonna hurt him/her bad! :P
Posted at Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Not really considered it as a break. I have been back in Thailand since 1st Oct and was wondering what I could write for my blog for the past few weeks. I got writer's block.. LOL .. Since most of my entries will be 1-liners... Some examples are
1) I flew in on Airasia. They have moved their operation back to Dong Meaung so it was a bit nostalgic going back to the old airport and find nothing has changed much.
2) Spent a few days cleaning up the house and moving some stuff to our shophouse.
3) Girl girl term break has started and we spent most of the time goofing around. Results on her first exams are quite encouraging, she's pretty good at everything but weak at Arts.... that's a surprise.
4) Boy is naughty and bloody stubborn. Refuses to listen and only likes to wear ultraman T-shirts... Lucky wife bought a few...
5) The living room cabinet is in the making. There was a slight delay so I guess I won't be able to see it completed in time before I return.
6) I spent some time shooting with my Nex-7 on the kids. The 24mm Zeiss is good but I found myself not shooting as much or as often as with my DSLR. The crop factor kinds of puts me off and the EVF is not that particularly good in darker scenes. AF is not that accurate oso. It's still more of a travel, landscape camera and not good for action. Miss my A900. Dun think I will get the A99 after spending extensive time with an EVF..
And I guess that was a pretty good summury. Tomorrow will be on a plane back to SG... Sianz...
Posted at Friday, October 19, 2012